Friday, May 25, 2012

Back from Hiatus!

Well hello there!!! It's almost summertime! My favorite time of year. (Second to my favorite, favorite time of year - fall.)
I have decided to start blogging again, mostly because my new found passion needs some advertising and I need a way to keep organized! Oh, by the way, this passion is gardening! Although, I should really call it "gardening". My dad has the knowledge, expertise, and vision (thank you horticulture degree and farmer background). He lacks the childish (almost naive) enthusiasm and time (thank you real-world).

I will give you a little background:
Last year I decided to garden so I started a little late but built 3 raised beds, bought some loam from a local nursery. My mom and I screened it and my long-suffering bestest helped me build the beds and gave some realistic support criticisms. She did drive me to Home Depot (wayyyy better than Lowes) in her SUV as ours was unavailable for some reason on Saturday morning, early. I used vegetable starts for most of my veggies. But direct seeded carrots, peas, onions and of course potatoes.

Then convention came along, then camping, then friends, them more conventions and my cousins from Ireland and somehow the garden was sort of...neglected. My parents stepped in as they could but I realized a few things.

With all the experience I gained last year, I have set out to be more productive this summer. I don't lack ambition, but perhaps...focus?

In April, my dad took our potatoes and laid them all out in the sun in the garage to spout tubers. We ONLY eat Yukon Golds around here...
A month ago I fertilized my beds which my dad QUICKLY sowed to potatoes. ALL. MY. BEDS.

So, I ordered more soil, bought some wood and most importantly...STARTED PLANNING. I did some research, found tons of awesome sites. (My favorite being this one: http://thefoodproject.org/sites/default/files/GrowingGuide2010.pdf ) I focused, refocused, and reminded myself to focus again on what was realistic for both my time and my family's need.

One rainy evening, an old dumb truck rumbled into the yard and my dad guided its driver to my newly constructed beds. My dad and Davey (thank you) shoveled and shoveled. I generally inspected, approved, encouraged, questioned, bossed, made sure my orange crocks got supper muddy, and even managed to fertilized the soil amid my busy delegating duties. That evening we planted peas, beans, carrots, and onions. By "we" I mean I tore open the package and my dear father worked his magic.

Two days later my mom and I visited our local nursery and purchased the veggies on my post-research garden plan. I planted. Watered. Sighed. The beginning of a long impatient wait!!!

All done filling. Left is planted with seeds of peas, beans and carrots. (Yes, it was raining)

Beet seeds. Oddest seeds you have ever seen!



Square foot gardening! <3

One of many lists. This might qualify as the Master Master List.

Pretending I'm sophisticated!
That last picture is a decent representation of my must-haves in the garden. Gloves -get yourself a pair of Atlas Nitrile garden gloves - you won't regret it!, (orange) Crocks, hand cultivator (yes, I just googled that to see if that's what it's called. I call it a mini-sprong. Donegal roots...) You can also see my Master Master List on the left there! :)


It's Memorial Day Weekend - What are your plans? I am going yard saling in the morning! (Yes, I really am!) Just wait till you see what I am going to be doing with my finds!


I am also going to plant my tomatoes!!! I have a plan of action to combat last year's failures.


What's growing in your garden?

1 comment:

  1. I wonder who that awesome friend that helped you was??? :)

    ReplyDelete